Country based salinity assessments
Worldwide distribution of salinity
Several worldwide assessment have been made on soil salinity distribution. A summary of each assessment is given based on each study.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), 2000. Using the world soil map an assessment on a country basis was made of saline and sodic soils. This includes non-agricultural land as well.
- Ghassemi et al, 1995. Assessment focuses on irrigated land only.
- WorldBank technical paper 215, 1995. Assessment focuses on irrigated land and investments.
- International Institute for Land Reclamation and Improvement (Alterra-ILRI), 1980. Summary based on FAO Soils map, thus includes non-agricultural land as well.
Regional distribution of salinity
- Salinity in the Indus basin (Pakistan)
- Salinity in the Nile Delta (Egypt)
- Salinity in the lower Tigris-Euphrates basin (Mesopotamian plain, Iraq)
- Salinity in the Amu-Darya and Syr-Darya basin (Central Asia, Aral sea basin)
- Salinity in the Jordan Valley (Jordan, Palestine)